It is very important to ask questions about tutoring. Most people think that tutoring is an accommodation. Section 504 regulations say that it is not, that studying and tutoring are personal services or responsibilities. Most colleges provide some tutoring, but how much, how it is provided, and who does the tutoring are all important questions. It is also important to understand that if the college doesn’t provide tutoring for all students, it does not have to provide tutoring for a student with a disability, even if the student needs or could benefit from that service.
- Are tutoring services available to all students?
- What subject areas are tutors available in?
- Who provides the tutoring? Instructors? Peers? Professional tutors?
- If there is a tutoring center, what are the hours and where is it located?
- Do tutors receive training about disabilities?
- Can a student request ongoing one to one tutoring with the same tutor for consistency?